Why your gift will make a more significant impact in the lives and the future of our Pacific Islander (PI) students and their families:
- Recently, Pacific Islanders are disproportionately impacted by COVID-19, further exacerbating inequities. In cases of COVID-19 in Washington State, PI has rates approximately seven times higher, hospitalizations almost twelve times higher, and deaths six times higher than Whites and among Communities of Color.
- (Washington State Department of Health, August 12, 2020, COVID-19 Morbidity and Mortality by Race, Ethnicity and Language in Washington State).
- In 2018-19, only 35.9% of PI students met standards in English Language Arts (compared to 77.9% of Asian, 41.6% of Black/AA, 42.4% of Hispanic, 67% of White), 25.8% meet standards in Math (compared to 73.9% of Asian, 27.9% of Black/AA, 31.4% of Hispanic, 55.7% of White), and 20.7% in Science (compared to 61.8% of Asian, 24.8% of Black/AA, 29.4% of Hispanic, 54.4% of White)
- (Washington State Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction, retrieved from washingtonstatereportcard.ospi.k12.wa.us, accessed September 2020).
- In 2017, only 68% of PI students graduated in four years, compared to 79% for all students. Over a four-year period, 18% of PI students dropped out, significantly higher than all students (11.5%), and 15.4% of PI students were at the poverty level, compared with 9.6% of Whites.
- (Deb Came, Ph.D., 2018, Report to the Legislature - Graduation and Dropout Statistic, OSPI).
Your giving spirit and as little as $10.00 a month donation will support programs that will narrow the educational, opportunity, and poverty disparities gaps for our students and families.
The Voices of Pacific Island Nations (VOPIN) is truly blessed with your kindness! And in humble island spirit, we say to You: Thank you (Fa’afetai tele, Mahalo, si Yu’us ma’ase’, Malo aupito, Vinaka, Fakafetai, Kia ora, Kilisou, etc...) for your generous support and donation.